Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pretty Nails

We've been in school for a week and a half now.  One of my favorite students, Pretty Nails Girl, is back this school year.  She and her family travel to their home country each summer to see their extended family and return by the time school starts.  Pretty Nails Girl is a real sweetie, but sonetimes she fixates on something and just won't let it go.  Last year, she started noticing the finger nails and toenails of several teachers.  If one of us had polish on our nails, Pretty Nails Girl would examine the color closely and ask us what the name of the color was.  Then, she would ask us to write down the name of the nail polish on a post-it note.  She really liked going online and looking up the colors. 

One day, she asked Mrs. Cheerleader what nail polish color she liked.  Mrs. Cheerleader was in a bit of a hurry that day and quickly replied, "Anything O.P.I."

Now if you've ever looked at the OPI nail colors, you'll know they have some pretty hilarious names.  I like "Coney Island Cotton Candy", for example, and Mrs. Reading recently went for "Tutti Frutti Tonga".  If you check out the OPI website and click on the "Try On This Color" tab at the top, you'll see lots of very creative names for polish colors.

Pretty Nails Girl dutifully noted Mrs. Cheerleader's answer, went home and spent a long time looking  for "Anything O.P.I." on the OPI nails website.   (Unfortunately, there IS no color called "Anything O.P.I.")   When Pretty Nails Girl came back to school the next day, she told Mrs. Cheerleader that she couldn't find the color.   Mrs. Cheerleader felt a little sheepish when she realized what had happened.  She had to explain further that she meant she liked any color of nail polish that OPI makes.  Ooops!!

Now that I know Pretty Nails Girl is back from her vacation, I need to schedule a manicure and a pedicure.  It will make her day if I come in with polished nails.  Of course, I will have to pay attention to the name of the color of the polish!  And, I might as well write down the name on a post-it note before she comes to my room for ESL class.  That way, I'll be ready to go before she walks in the door!! 



1 comment:

  1. I am constantly amazed at what kids fixate on when it comes to teachers. I knit a lot of my own socks and wear a lot of clog type shoes and it always surprises me when a kid comments on my socks!

    ReplyDelete