Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sequence for Kids

There are so many wonderful board games available for children to play.  I like including games in my lesson planning because I can incorporate a lot of enjoyable practice for my students in speaking, reading and listening in English.  Some of the games I use are Chutes and Ladders, Battleship, Scrabble Junior, Monopoly Junior and Guess Who. 

Recently, I heard about Sequence for Kids.  I found a set at school and borrowed it from a colleague.  Wow!  What a great game!  I "test drove" it with two third graders last week. 

First, I copied the instructions.  I gave each student a copy and a highlighter.  We took turns reading the instructions and highlighting important text.  As we read the rules, I placed the board, the cards and the game chips on the table.  We spent time examinining the items and discussing the rules.  We also talked about strategies on how to win the game. 

The next day, I had the game spread out on the table and ready to go.  We briefly discussed the rules and started playing the game.  It was fun to watch the students as we played.  They were quite the strategists, even though they hadn't played the game before.  I know that next week, they'll be begging to play the game again on Friday Fun day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment